My friend tried to explain "Napoleon Dynamite" as the grandchild of its kind.
While I believe it is similar in phrases you say and make you laugh because of the understanding and commonality of language, if you do compare them, the Holy Grail stands out by far because it has actually funny parts and only painfully dumb every once in a while. Another friend compared in it's classic-ness to ">Princess Bride"
While I must agree, you must see Princess Bride just because it is one of the best movies ever, classic worthy of being called classic, and use of watching a movie, it isn't the same. Not because the Holy Grail is better as far as story, moral or humor. The Princess lines, while in my home are quoted often, are not a common comedy reference in all circles as with the Holy Grail, at least with guys, isn't it. Well, obviously not, because this couple included a guy. Am I dated? Is it a clear demarkation of my era that Monte Python was iconic. Was it in fact a fad? These thoughts coursed through my mind as I was picking my jaw off of the floor after hearing my friends hadn't ever heard of Monte Python.I am sure my perspective is now going through a crisis and I will have to rethink my opinions on movies and classic and comedy in general.
4 comments:
gosh!
I must admit I am among those who have not seen Monty Python. My male friends quoted it all the time though!
I started feeling a bit dated when none of my college students had seen Young Frankenstein, and hadn't read Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Of course I set them straight and made them watch Charade as part of their homework (not really, but I should have). Monte Python is more like Star Wars...you hear lines from it everywhere.
While I really enjoyed the Holy Grail, despite the lack of an actual ending, I must say my favorite MP skits are the Silly Walk, The Parrot Sketch, The Cheese Shop, and the funniest joke.
I loved Princess Bride, both the book and the movie.
I have yet to see Napoleon Dynamite all the way through. It is just too slow for me I guess, or maybe I really am getting too old, but, of course "I'm not dead yet".
Monty Python has lasted while Better off dead, on the other hand is a flash in the pan. So, no your not dated. Witness the broadway revival that is Spamalot. The only question I have to ask you is "a European swallow or an African swallow?"
Post a Comment