Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I've been reading a few books this (now last) summer, and over the vacation, I was able to finish two, that I felt correlated, leaving me feel very disturbed and disquieted. One of the books was 1984 by George Orwell. I actually have wanted to read this for quite a while because of how "Big Brother" is referred to so often with our media and some movies. I felt that once I personally read the whole idea, the reference would mean more to me, and I could be more specifically critical in op ed pieces and news articles I might come across. When I finished the book, I struggled to be able to sleep. Putting my finger on what exactly I was most disturbed about still has had my mind turning in non ending circles. The second book, The Giver, was recommended by my son who loved the book assigned to him in Jr. High. We read it aloud, because he liked it so well, he wanted to read it again. With every page, I kept asking him when it would get good. Honestly, I have heard this to be a great book by many others. It is recommended reading on many lists. And it was poetic. The correllation that really bothered me was the "Utopia" that both books set up. I think that not enough people read these books.

2 comments:

leadatortilla said...

So, does that mean you liked it? Do you recommend them? Just curious. :-) It was great to see you - hope you come back this way again soon!!

mindy said...

Yes, please . . . opine!! :)